Thursday, April 26, 2018

Reflections on my Progress and my Plans

We currently are stuck at a bit of a road block in our contributions to Jupyter notebooks. We want to add a progress bar to provide users with feedback when they are uploading files. As it stands, the user has no way to tell if the program is uploading the file. We know that this is done in Javascript and we have found a progress bar plugin online. We have the plugin working outside of Jupyter. However, we are not sure where it goes within the dozens upon dozens of JS files within Jupyter notebooks.

We reached out to more experienced contributors about a week and a half ago and have yet to receive a response. This is disappointing because other contributors were quick to help us when we were working on the accessibility issue. We read about poor communication being a common pitfall when working on open source projects, so this setback was not entirely unexpected.

Working on this issue has really made me appreciate just how large of a project Jupyter is. I have worked on large projects before in the CIRDLES lab, but Jupyter notebooks still dwarfs anything else I have ever seen. This means I spend most of my time working on the project figureing out how code works and how files interact with each other. This can be frustrating since I can spend hours with the code and not actually add anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment