Thursday, January 25, 2018

I'm Git'n it

Git vs Github
Git is a version control tool that is run from the command line or terminal. It allows multiple people to contribute to one project at the same time. It it is also helpful for retrieving past versions of a project if a developer is unhappy with recent changes to the project. Github is a collection of repositories where code is stored. It is where code is pushed to and pulled from when we use Git. Github has a social aspect in that most projects can be viewed by anyone. Many projects on Github are open source.

Previous Experience with Git
I have used both Git and Github for a few years now. I first learned it for my work in Dr. Bowring's CIRDLES lab. I remember there being a steep learning curve, and I often had difficulty keeping my branches up to date when others committed work. I got the hang of it with the help of my team members.

Git and Ubuntu
When I first began installing Git on my Ubuntu virtual machine, I expected there to be some sort of difficulty due to my past experiences. I can recall very few times when installing anything on Ubuntu didn't involve some sort of hiccup. I was almost surprised when installing git took only seconds and worked just as I expected it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment